The Cave Retirement Village - Frail Care Unit
The Caves Retirement Village in Oudtshoorn has a fully equipped Frail Care Unit. The Frail Care Unit is designed and equipped with the latest technology to provide optimal care and comfort to our patients.
Our objective is to ensure high quality care with the necessary skills, compassion and integrity.
Trained caring professional nurses, led by Sister Sanet Els, are available to you 24 hours to ensure complete mental rest. We have one registered nursing sister, 5 enrolled nurses, 1 enrolled nursing assistant, 9 assistant nurses and 2 general nurses working on a shift schedule.
There are currently 23 beds in the Care Unit. The services available to the residents of the Village are as follow:
- Short-term Care (recovery from surgery)
- Long-term care (including Alzheimer’s patients)
- Medical Emergency and stabilising
- 24 Hour medical practitioners assistance
- Three daily meals including morning and afternoon
- Special diet for diabetics and other special needs
- Daily laundry for patients in the Care Unit and cleaning services
- Access to community centre, library, braai facilities and television room
- Access to physiotherapists and other specialists as needed (for patient’s own account)
- Wound Treatment
- Hands and feet care
For more specialized medical services Oudtshoorn boasts good infrastructure, a private Medi-clinic and a provincial hospital. Several medical specialists visit Oudtshoorn on a weekly basis.
The Southern Cape's emergency helicopter is stationed in Oudtshoorn and except for excellent hospitals in Oudtshoorn, the clinics in George and Mossel Bay also has the most modern technology and facilities. (ex. Cardiac Unit at Bayview Hospital).
We can provide assistance for seniors who need daily personal care and administration of medication, but still function independently in their homes. Regular visits by trained staff, where necessary, provide a healthy balance between an independent lifestyle and high quality care as needed.
Meals can be delivered on-demand to ensure that residents receive the necessary daily nutrition.
All residents of the Village have a panic button that guarantees 24 hour assistance giving extra peace of mind for our residents.